Moments of Awe and Transcendence
Art is washing the dust off of your soul
VIA Strengths Categorized by Core Virtues
- appreciation of beauty/awe
• ”Sudden feelings of intense happiness and well-being, possibly the awareness of an ‘ultimate truth’ and the unity of all things ... the experience fills the individual with wonder and awe....he feels at one with the
• “Moments when you feel more at one with yourself and the world, more integrated. You
feel happy, even ecstatic, interconnected. and in harmony. The peak experience induces the
recognition that your own powers are far greater than you imagined them” – Colin Wilson.
• What makes you feel juiced, free, uninhibited, and alive?
• When do you feel powerful?
• Consider a Peak Experience. Either in awe of another or the
Keep in mind that times of awe might be times to put the camera down.
Awe Definition: Awe is a distinct and powerful emotion with two defining features (Keltner and Haidt 2003):
1. Perceptual vastness (in number, size, scope, complexity, ability, or social bearing),
2. The need to alter assumptions about the world, events, people, nature,
When do we experience awe?
1. Taking the scenic route
2. Immersing yourself in a crowd
3. Going outside
4. Turning your gaze upward
5. Getting inspired
6. Seeing a phenomenal performance
The Life Lens
1) Put the camera away
How can we create opportunities for awe?
• Create room for silence
• listening and reflection.
• Create rituals and meaningful symbols.
• Get connected with a crowd.
Awe: A distinct and powerful emotion with two defining features which “stops time”:
- Perceptual vastness (in number, size, scope, complexity, ability, or social bearing)
- The need to alter assumptions about the world, events, people, nature, god.
My stories ...
swimming with whale sharks
Baby sea turtles
singing in the grocery store